Monday, November 27, 2006

2005 Mollydooker The Boxer (RP95/WS91)

Let me start off by saying that this is my first real post. I don't have any special talent for wine other than being willing to take the time to have fun with it and not feeling too pretentious about what I really taste. You won't see references to things that real people don't taste (e.g., Cassis) because, frankly, I don't know what cassis tastes like and I assume you don't either. What I've tried to do and will be doing is to write about wines I love, like and don't like. As time goes on, I plan on developing a point system, but, for right now, I feel writing about how the wine tastes is more important. I decided to start with one I love, because it's so much easier that way. Here goes and enjoy...

If you like full-bodied Australian Shiraz, look no further. This wine is a monster and at about $20.00 is relatively cheap (I paid about $16.00/btl). Dont' let the screw top fool you, the wine is made by a husband and wife team who don't really care about anything but putting out great, relatively inexpensive wine (except their premier wines, which, after Robert Parker's reviews, are going at auction for about 15 times their listed price). I've had Penfolds RWT, Grange and other very expensive Aussie Shiraz, all at about 8 to 10 times the cost of The Boxer. Frankly, I'm not sure which of them I like the best.

When you first taste the wine, you can really taste its depth. You can taste a ton of berry at the beginning and as you swallow, a chocolate taste that's like velvet. Think of an amazing dessert of liquid chocolate and strawberries or other ripe fruit. The wine's finish goes on forever. This wine is so good that days later you'll think about it and get a taste memory where you actually feel like you're able to taste the wine again.

This is just a great party wine. Drink it with food or just because you want to. With fun bottles (the label on this one, as you can see, is a cartoon boxer) and a great taste, you can't go wrong with this wine, if you can find it.

4 comments:

"heymarci" said...

bravo mike...i'm hooked already!

"heymarci" said...

btw, killer title for your blog. how'd you come up with that?

"heymarci" said...

from jay (via marci's handle): wishing you all the best in your new venture. l'chaim!

Anonymous said...

i have tended to favor the Syrah's form the Northern Rhone over the Aussie bolder fruit forward versions. what do you like to eat with this Shiraz?