Sunday, December 3, 2006

Masa Restaurant, Boston, MA

As I said, we went out last night with friends. We had 2 great bottles and 1 good bottle and I'll tell you about each (1997 Ch. Grand Mayne, 1998 Ch. Clerc Milon & 2002 Catena Alta Malbec) later. First, I wanted to tell you about the restaurant. We went to Masa Restaurant (www.masarestaurant.com) in Boston's South End. It's a chic little place with a great casual feeling and a young, mostly early-mid twenties, bar scene. (It's tough when you realize that you're probably old enough to be the really pretty bartender's father). More importantly, the food and service was outstanding. Our table was ready as soon as we arrived and the wait staff was knowledgeable and attentive. I started with a Sweet Corn and Blue Crab Bisque and then stole some of my wife's Spicy Ahi Tuna Cabo Roll and we got a Ceviche for the table. The bisque was outstanding. It was thick and tasty and had a great kick from the serrano-chive aoli that is floated on top. The combination of the crab and the corn really complimented each other well. The Tuna Cabo roll is a large chunk of sushi grade tuna that is wrapped in a tortilla (like a chimichanga) with vegetables like a Maki roll and then quickly deep fried. It's served with a wasabi guacamole that is outstanding. The Ceviche was in a coconut mole and while it tasted great and I'd recommend it for an appetizer, it was not a great idea to share for the table.

For dinner, I had a chile encrusted New York Stip steak that was cooked, for me, perfectly, which is medium rare. When I say medium-rare, I mean just warm red center and charred on the outside. The piece of meat was huge (I can eat a fair amount of food and I had a lot of trouble finishing) and well marbled with a small layer of fat that tasted amazing. I know that sound disgusting, but, in a good piece of meat, that's where the flavor is (If I die at 75 instead of 80 because of my diet, that's fine by me). For dessert, we got a few things for the table, I'm not sure what, because I was focused on the bread pudding, which was very good. If you're looking for a fun night out, you won't be disappointed at Masa.

Next: The Wine

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the 97 Grand Mayne was about as good as Merlot gets, great structure, a hint of chocolate, and a long finish. the 98 left bank cab, merlot, cab franc blend needed a little more time than it's right bank brother to open up, but when it did, it was awesome.